Phone Check and Test requires the following permissions:
- READ_PHONE_STATE (manage phone) to get IMEI information.
- ACCESS_WIFI_STATE to get Wi-Fi information.
- CAMERA for the camera test.
- WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE and READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE for the storage test.
- RECORD_AUDIO for the audio microphone test.
- INTERNET permission for online help.
- VIBRATE permission for the vibrate test.
- ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION for the GPS test and the phone signal.
- BLUETOOTH and BLUETOOTH_ADMIN for the Bluetooth test.
- USE_FINGERPRINT for the fingerprint sensor test.
- NFC for the NFC test.
For the first time use on Android 6.0 and later, permissions will typically be requested before the first test run, based on the tests that have been selected:
- Network Test: Manage phone permission (get the IMEI or MEID/ESN). andTest will not make any phone calls.
- Camera test: Camera permission.
- GPS test: Location permission.
- Audio test: Record audio permission.
It is OK to deny access to these permissions when requested. Testing functionality will just be reduced in this case.
Screen Overlay Detected
If you get the Android pop-up message “Screen Overlay Detected” then this occurs when Phone Check and Test requests a permission, but another app is overlayed on top of Phone Check and Test (e.g. the Facebook Messenger Chathead), and Android prevents the permission request as a security measure (e.g. to stop the overlaying app tricking you to give it the permission).
To resolve this, either:
- Close the overlay (e.g. close the Facebook Messenger Chathead) or
- Disable the overlaying app from using screen overlays. For example, Settings -> Apps -> Special access -> Apps that can appear on top. Disable the permission for the app that is displaying the overlay (‘on top’).
- A phone or tablet with Android 4.2 and above.
- Not all of device the information is available on all devices. Please let us know if the information you need is missing on your phone and we will investigate adding it.
It should be noted that:
- The maximum temperature reading during a test run is displayed in the results report (where available). The maximum temperature for a phone or tablet is device specific. However, a value between 80C and 100C is common. When a phone gets too hot it should automatically throttle (reduce) the CPU frequency to reduce power consumption and hence temperature. If this mechanism is not working properly, the phone may power down and restart. This is a failure of the phone.
- The temperature range of the battery is shown in the report (where available). The maximum temperature for a battery is battery specific. However, a value between 30C and 40C is common.
It should be noted that it is not possible for an app to detect every problem with an Android phone or tablet. Phone Check and Test provides checks and tests for the main Android device functions.